Note from Ray: Happy Wednesday – it’s book release day during the iOS 8 Feast!
Good news – the third and final book in the Swift by Tutorials Bundle is now available: Core Data by Tutorials!
Core Data by Tutorials will teach you the fundamentals of using Core Data with Swift, by means of hands-on tutorials. It starts with the basics, and quickly moves to more advanced topics like versioning and migration, syncing with iCloud, performance, multithreading, and more.
Written by some of the foremost experts on Core Data, you’re in for a treat with this book. Get ready to level-up your Core Data skills – the easy way!
In addition, Matthijs Hollemans has updated the fourth and final part of the iOS Apprentice to iOS 8 and Swift. Keep reading to find out more about each update!
About Core Data by Tutorials
Core Data by Tutorials is for intermediate to advanced developers, who already know the basics of iOS and Swift development but want to learn Core Data.
4 members of the Tutorial Team on this site have teamed up to write this book: Aaron Douglas, Saul Mora, Matthew Morey, and Pietro Rea. All four of these guys have battle-hardened Core Data experience to share with you.
Core Data by Tutorials is 10 chapters and 256 pages. Let’s take a quick look at what’s inside:
- Chapter 1, Your First Core Data App: You’ll click File\New Project and write a Core Data app from scratch! This chapter covers the basics of setting up your data model and then adding and fetching records.
- Chapter 2, NSManagedObject Subclasses: NSManagedObject is the base data storage class of your Core Data object graphs. This chapter will teach you how you customize your own managed object subclasses to store and validate data.
- Chapter 3, The Core Data Stack: Under the hood, Core Data is made up of many parts working together. In this chapter, you’ll learn about how these parts fit together, and move away from the starter Xcode template to build your own customizable system.
- Chapter 4, Intermediate Fetching: Your apps will fetch data all the time, and Core Data offers many options for getting the data to you efficiently. This chapter covers more advanced fetch requests, predicates, sorting and asynchronous fetching.
- Chapter 5, NSFetchedResultsController: Table views are at the core of many iOS apps, and Apple wants to make Core Data play nicely with them! In this chapter, you’ll learn how NSFetchedResultsController can save you time and code when your table views are backed by data from Core Data.
- Chapter 6, Versioning and Migration: As you update and enhance your app, its data model will almost certainly need to change. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to create multiple versions of your data model and then migrate your users forward so they can keep their existing data as they upgrade.
- Chapter 7, Syncing with iCloud: Move beyond storing data locally on a single device, to cloud storage and synchronizing across all the user’s devices. This chapter covers how to extend an existing Core Data app to use iCloud.
- Chapter 8, Unit Tests: Testing is an important part of the development process, and you shouldn’t leave Core Data out of those tests! In this chapter, you’ll learn how to set up a separate test environment for Core Data and see examples of how to test your models.
- Chapter 9, Measuring and Boosting Performance: No one ever complained that an app was too fast, so it’s important to be vigilant about tracking performance. In this chapter, you’ll learn how to measure your app’s performance with various Xcode tools and then pick up some tips for dealing with slow spots in your code.
- Chapter 10, Multiple Managed Object Contexts: In this final chapter, you’ll expand the usual Core Data stack to include multiple managed object contexts. You’ll learn how this can improve perceived performance and help make your app architecture less monolithic and more compartmentalized.
The iOS Apprentice Third Edition Part 4: StoreSearch
As you may know, Matthijs Hollemans has been updating his popular iOS Apprentice series to iOS 8 and Swift as well.
Today, we are happy to announce that the fourth and final part is now fully updated!
Again, this is a free update to existing PDF customers. If you bought the iOS Apprentice when it first came out, you have seen it update from iOS 5 -> 6 -> 7 -> 8, and even an entirely new language!
Pretty good value for the money, eh? :]
How To Get Your Copy
If you are an existing PDF customer for Core Data by Tutorials or the iOS Apprentices, you can download it now on your My Loot page.
Otherwise, you can pick up a copy here:
We hope you enjoy these books – along with the rest of the books released during the iOS 8 Feast. These are the last books to be released during the feast – stay tuned for the grand prize giveaway next week to end with a bang! :]
And by the way, don’t forget to sign up for RWDevCon, and grab your early bird discount while you still can. See you there!